SLUMBRx Day 1
- Download the FitBit App on your smart phone from the App Store, Google Play or the Windows Store before your visit.
- Please sign up for FitBit using the email address you provided when you applied to be a participant of the SLUMBRx study.
- Please contact Dr. Knowlden as soon as possible if you would like to use a different email address other than the email address you submitted as part of your application to participate in SLUMBRx.
- Otherwise, we will use the email address you provided to set up your account with HypKnowledge; the Web-App you will sync your FitBit to for each day you participate in SLUMBRx.
- Save your FitBit log-in information and use the password listed at the top of the "SLUMBRx - Take Home Materials" document sent to you from Dr. Knowlden when asked to create a FitBit password.
- If prompted, select the Inspire 2 model.
- You can use your personal FitBit for SLUMBRx. However, it must be a model that records sleep.
- If you get stuck on any portion of the FitBit download steps, we are happy to assist you once you arrive for your lab visit.
- Please go to HypKnowledge.com and bookmark the Web-based App on your PC, laptop, or tablet. Once your account is set up, you will use your e-mail and your SLUMBRx password to access HypKnowledge.
- We recommend creating a shortcut to the SLUMBRx Study Daily Task List for quick access to all study activities from your smart phone.
- For step-by-step directions on using the FitBit and HypKnowledge Web App for SLUMBRx, please download the user guide found within the document below:
|File Size:||999 kb|
Prepare for your Visit to the Kinesiology Lab
- Arrive Fasted. Please do not eat on the day of your visit.
- Avoid Caffeine 12 hours prior to your visit and Tobacco 2 hours prior to your visit.
- Avoid Strenuous Exercise and Alcohol 24 hours before your visit.
- Sip Water. Please do sip water on the day of your visit. Being well hydrated is necessary for the BODPOD. However, please only drink water and no other types of beverages.
- Privacy. The BODPOD machine is in a private room where you will be able to change your clothing.
- Please note, we will attempt to gender-match you for the body composition portion of this study; however, this is not always possible. If you are a male and feel uncomfortable removing your shirt while a female researcher takes your body measurements, or you are female and feel uncomfortable with a male researcher taking your measurements, you may wish to re-consider participating in this study. Please note, our research team are trained professionals and take several measures to ensure you are comfortable while we collect your information. There will always be two researchers present when we collect your body measurements.
- Wear or bring loose-fitting shorts and a loose-fitting, short-sleeved shirt. One of the devices for SLUMBRx must be affixed to your upper thigh, so please bring or wear shorts so a team member can help you affix the device to your upper thigh. As well, we will take your blood pressure using a cuff on your upper arm so please bring or wear a loose-fitting, short-sleeved t-shirt.
- We will provide the necessary cap for use in the BODPOD.
- Form-fitting single layer/tight-fitting Lycra ©/spandex swimsuit like Speedo ©, OR
- Compression bike-style shorts (with NO padding) similar to Under Armour © type shorts.
- Form-fitting single layer swimsuit in either one or two-piece. Must be of Lycra ©/Spandex © style similar to Speedo ©, OR
- Compression bike-style shorts (with NO padding) or volleyball-style shorts and sports bra with no padding or wires.
Spandex / Compression Clothing for BODPOD.
Lab Location & Parking
The first part of SLUMBRx will take place at the Kinesiology Laboratory at the University of Alabama.
The Kinesiology Lab is located on the 2nd floor of Wade Hall. Designated parking for research participants and the entrance to Wade Hall is located at 620 Judy Bonner Dr.
Kinesiology Laboratory Physical Address:
The University of Alabama
620 Judy Bonner Dr.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
GPS MAP TO WADE HALL:
Parking for Research Study Participants:
The research study participant parking spots are located next to the handicapped parking spots, highlighted in yellow in the picture of Wade Hall on this Web page. Please park in one of the designated parking spots reserved for research study participants.
Once you park, please meet Dr. Knowlden near the entrance to Wade Hall that faces Judy Bonner Dr. (highlighted in yellow in the picture of Wade Hall).
When you arrive, a member of the SLUMBRx team will give you a parking pass that you can place on your vehicle dashboard.
GPS MAP TO PARKING FOR RESEARCH STUDY PARTICIPANTS:
*Once you click this link to the UA Map App, press the right-hand turn sign icon for GPS, location-specific directions to research study participant parking.*
Kinesiology Laboratory Physical Address: The University of Alabama, Wade Hall, 620 Judy Bonner Dr., Tuscaloosa, AL, 35401
Please park in the designated parking spot (outlined in yellow). Once you arrive at Wade Hall, Dr. Knowlden will meet you outside of the building by the set of double doors facing Judy Bonner Dr. (outlined in yellow)